Our History

donate

Our History

 

1955         

                       

Known as the "Kitchener Cerebral Palsy School Board", it began with just six students as was located within KW Hospital in Kitchener.


  

1956

 

The School relocated to, what was then known as the "North Waterloo Society for Crippled Children" building on King Street in Kitchener. This became The Rotary Children’s Centre which would one day become KidsAbility.

    

1961

 

The School name changed its name to "North Waterloo Children’s Centre Board of Education".

   

1995      

 

When KidsAbility™ made its move from King Street in Kitchener to a brand new and customized designed facility on the corner of Davenport Road and Hallmark Drive, the School made its move and joined in the celebration of the grand opening of a facility that boasted over 50,000 square feet of space.

   

2000   

 

This year saw the School change its name to the Rotary Children's Centre School Authority.

   

2003 

 

It was an exciting year for the School as it expanded school services to a second site in Cambridge. This new classroom saw 16 children in its first year bringing the total number of children enrolled in the School to 80 in Waterloo and Cambridge.

 

The School became known as KidsAbility School Authority to coincide with the Rotary Children's Centre name change to KidsAbility Centre for Child Development.

   

2006

 

Due to an increasing demand, a second classroom was added in Cambridge that welcomed an additional 18 children that year.

   

2015 

 

KidsAbility School continues to provide special education programs in six classrooms located in KidsAbility's sites in Waterloo and Cambridge.

 

Last year over 100 kindergarten-aged children who have communication, physical and/or developmental disabilities benefited from half-day specialized education programs at KidsAbility School Authority.