Advanced Flexible Friends - Cambridge - BSS Social Skills Group
The purpose of “Advanced Flexible Friends” is to generate new ways to solve problems by expressing wants and needs, advanced conversation skills, perspective taking, and other social communication topics. Our curriculum is an engaging multimedia program designed to enhance social competence and to teach critical skills to develop and maintain friendships and flexibility skills. Throughout the sessions, there will be opportunities for your child to learn about various social topics through interactive lessons, modeling, role-plays, group games and other activities. There will also be scheduled times for your child to interact with others in games and activities of their choice. During this time, the therapists will guide participants, as needed, to practice various social skills including problem solving, sharing, flexible thinking, and social communication.
To improve social and play skills through:
• Behaviour Skills Training on topics (instruction, modelling, rehearsal, feedback)
• Prompting and reinforcement to teach priority goals each session
• Data collection to assess acquisition of priority goals
• To engage in a balanced conversation (starting/ ending)
• To stay on topic during a conversation
• To read non-verbal cues of others and respond appropriately (i.e., social distancing, identifying humour)
• To use appropriate problem solving strategies (i.e., plan A/plan B, etc.)
Families will receive a summary of recommendations outlining the strategies developed through each week of group to continue to apply your learning in other settings. By registering for this group, you are committing to attending all session dates.
Dates: Weekly on Mondays - October 17, 2022 to December 19, 2022
Time: 4:30 to 6:30 pm