Foundational Family Supports
Help is here when families need it the most.
When a family has questions about their child's development, KidsAbility is often the first call that they make. We are here to answer that call and the many questions you may have from where to start to what services might be available to support you and your child. KidsAbility provides Foundational Family Services to anyone in our community with an OAP number.
Funded through the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, Foundational Family Services provided by KidsAbility through the Ontario Autism Program break down barriers so that anyone in our community with questions or who may be concerned that their child is facing challenges can access services and support when they need it the most. Our dedicated, professional staff will work with you to find workshops, resources, groups, support and more to help you be successful. We are here for you regardless of where you are on your journey or simply if you are supporting someone on their own journey. You do not need to be a KidsAbility family to access these services, but must be registered with the OAP.
Children Enrolled in the Ontario Autism Program
Ask the ABA Team:
For children with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) who are currently enrolled in the Ontario Autism Program (OAP), families can access additional services, such as “Ask the ABA Team”. These virtual or phone appointments are one-to-one sessions with one or more team members from our Autism and Behaviour Support Services Program. This service is free of charge. You may speak with our Goal Planning Specialist (GPS), a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA), a Social Worker (SW), and/or Instructor Therapist (IT) from our Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) Program.
You can ask questions such as:
- Where do I start?
- What might services look like for my child?
- Do we qualify for tax credits or additional funding?
Please contact us
to schedule an appointment and ensure that you have your child’s OAP reference
number handy when booking your appointment.
To schedule an appointment please contact email@example.com.
Workshops & Resources
KidsAbility offers many free workshops and resources to support you. Please remember to check our Events Calendar for upcoming dates and registration information. Join our mailing list
to stay up to date on upcoming Autism and Behaviour Support Workshops and Resources.
To register for our workshops please email firstname.lastname@example.orgSeptember 2023
- Intro to Toileting - in person Thursday, September 14, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo* (Teen Services) FULL
- Routine Building - Tuesday September 26, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Challenging Behaviour - Tuesday October 10, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Making and Using Visuals - Thursday October 26, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Toileting - Tuesday November 7, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Challenging Behaviours - Thursday November 23, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Making and Using Visuals - Thursday December 7, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Routine Building - Tuesday December 19, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Using ABA within the Home - Thursday January 11, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Challenging Behaviour - Tuesday January 23, 2024, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Play and Social Skills - Thursday February 8, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Toileting - Tuesday February 20, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Making and Using Visuals - Thursday March 7, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Using ABA within the Home - Tuesday March 19, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Prepping for Community Outings - Thursday April 4, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Play and Social Skills - Tuesday April 16, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Emotional Regulation - Thursday May 2, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Play and Social Skills - Tuesday May 14, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Challenging Behaviour - Tuesday June 4, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Using ABA within the Home - Thursday June 20, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Toileting - Thursday July 4, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Emotional Regulation - Tuesday July 16, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
- Play and Social Skills - Thursday August 15, 4:30 - 6:30 p.m., Waterloo (Boardroom)
- Making and Using Visuals - Tuesday August 27, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (virtual)
To register for our workshops please email email@example.com
* In-person workshops will take place at our Waterloo location (500 Hallmark Drive, Waterloo)
Mothers Addressing Autism Together (MAAT)
Do you have a child with an autism diagnosis? Would you like to talk to other moms who can relate to what you are going through? Do you have other questions and concerns related to your child's diagnosis that you would like to raise for discussion? If you answered "YES" to any or all of the above questions then this is the group for you! You are invited to drop-in to the group and have a chance to meet other moms, and share your joys, sorrows, wisdom and struggles. Come once, come monthly, or come when it works out for you this is an open group that allows you an opportunity to attend when you are able. The discussions are based upon the needs of the group and the topics that participants identify. On occasion we will have guest speakers to address specific topics.
Offered virtually on Tuesday mornings 10:00 - 11:30 a.m. (no sessions the first Tuesday of each month), contact Lindsay Crickmay at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are not able to offer child care or children's programs for your preschool children, so you will need to make alternative arrangements.