Participation and Environment Measure for Children and Youth (PEM-CY)
What is the PEM-CY?
The PEM-CY is a new measurement tool designed to help parents, service providers and researchers better understand the participation patterns of children and youth in their home, school, and community. It is the first tool of this type that measures participation and environmental factors at the same time. It is designed for parents of youth ages 5-17.
How can parents benefit from using the PEM-CY?
Parents can gain valuable
information about their child’s participation and what environmental factors make
the child’s participation easier or harder.
Parents and therapists can use the information from the PEM-CY to help
set goals for the child and come up with strategies to change their
What does the PEM-CY look like?
takes 25-40 minutes to complete.
total of 25 types of activities are included. Examples are: ‘computer and video games’
at home, ‘classroom activities’ at school, and ‘neighborhood outings’ in
- The 25 activities are grouped into three settings: home, school, and community.
- Download your copy of the PEM-CY.
- Scroll down to
the section titled “Parent Version” and agree to the Terms and Conditions
the “Download PEM-CY” button.
- If you are using Windows, double click on the “PEM-CY.msi” installer package to install the tool to your computer. To Run the PEM-CY tool, double click on the PEM-CY icon on your desktop, or by opening your Start Menu and locating the PEM-CY tool icon (a soccer ball)
- If you are using a Mac, drag the PEM-CY icon to the Applications folder as you normally would to install a Mac program. To run the PEM-CY tool, open your Applications folder and click on the PEM-CY icon (a soccer ball)
- For trouble shooting, please refer to the PEM-CY website