Affectionately known as “Benny’s Pond”, this warm and shallow pool is located at KidsAbility’s Waterloo site. It is used for therapy sessions, therapeutic recreation programs, KidsAbility School swims, beginner swimming lessons and Open Swim sessions.
KidsAbility's unsupervised therapeutic pool is available to clients and their families, as well as individuals with special needs in our community. This pool is 0.75m in depth so it is very much appropriate for young children or those who would benefit from a warm, relaxing, shallow swimming pool. Our pool and change rooms are accessible and there is a ramp leading down into the water (pool chairs available) as well as options for adapted floatation available on deck.
A responsible adult who has completed a pool orientation may supervise up to four individuals (no more than three of whom can be under the age of 13 in each session) during Open Swim. To book an orientation session, contact KidsAbility Reception at 519-886-8886 ext. 0.
$2.00 per swimmer or yearly memberships (September to June) available for $60. PAL card accepted.
All individuals interested in using this service must contact KidsAbility at 519-886-8886 ext. 0 to register for a pool orientation before having access to this service. Open Swim dates will be limited each week to a maximum of 24 participants.
*Please call Reception in advance to book a swim time to ensure there is adequate space and that the pool is open and available. All users must check-in with Reception and show their Swim Pass or pay the fee upon arrival.*
*Sensory Swim: Friday 4 pm to 6 pm. Anyone who would like to attend at this time MUST be in the building by 5:00 pm, as there will not be reception coverage past this time.*
Pool Schedule (September 1 to June 30):
Open swim time for individuals with special needs along with their friends and families.
Adult Open Swims:
Open swim time for teens and adults.
Sensory Swim is a dedicated swim time for those who would prefer a quiet, splash-free environment (if your child has difficulty maintaining this environment, please attend the Open Swims instead). Maximum of 8 swimmers in the pool.
Therapy Swims are quiet times for those working on therapy goals (maximum of two swimmers plus assistants). Speak to your therapist about booking therapy swim sessions.
: September 10th to 24th Open Swim will be available from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm. October 1st to November 5th Open Swim will only be available from 6:30 to 7:30. November 12th to December 10th, the pool will again be available from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm. Please confirm times with reception when booking.
Thursdays: September 6th to September 27th and December 6th and 13th, Open Swim will be available from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm. Please confirm times with reception when booking.
Holiday Pool Closure: Monday December 23rd and will reopen on Tuesday January 2nd.
Pool Schedule (July and August)
- Only a responsible adult who has completed a pool orientation may supervise swimmers during an Open Swim. This individual may supervise up to 4 additional swimmers, but only 3 of those swimmers can be children 12 and under.
- If you have not attended an Open Swim within the past year, you will be required to complete another pool orientation.
- If you attend Open Swims regularly, you will be asked to review and re-sign the pool orientation paperwork every two years.
- Please call reception to book your party into the Open Swim time of your choice. You will be asked the name of the individual who will be supervising in addition to the number of swimmers in the party.
- If you are the last group to leave the pool, please remember to close both change room doors. This will ensure that no children are able to access the pool.
- The cost for Open Swims, Adult Swims and Sensory Swims is $2 per swimmer. Household memberships are available for $60 per year and are valid for one year from the date of purchase. The PAL card is accepted.
- Please review your pool handbook if you have any questions about the Open Swim procedures, and visit www.kidsability.ca/swimming for regular updates.
- If you have any questions, concerns or ideas to make Open Swims even better, please speak to reception at 519-886-8886 x 0 or firstname.lastname@example.org