Therapeutic Recreation (TR) helps children, youth and families to enjoy their leisure and recreation to the fullest. By working together to eliminate barriers, we are enhancing opportunities to participate as fully and independently as possible in our community.
What Does TR Offer?
- Community Development: education and training, advocacy and awareness, and program development alongside community partners
- Recreation Skill Development: therapeutic groups, individual consultation and facilitating participation
- Parent & Client Education: workshops, recreation equipment loan program and support
When Should You Request TR Services?
- You are new to the area and would like information on community recreation opportunities
- You would like advice on appropriate recreation programs, supports, or adapted recreation equipment
- You are experiencing challenges or encountering barriers in a community program and you would like assistance or support
- You are interested in developing a new program based on a recreation interest
Benefits of TR
- Learn about your community
- Participate in activities and learn new skills
- Make new friends
- Increase self-esteem and self-confidence
- Increase independence
- Reduce stress
- Increase overall quality of life