School Years Program (4-21 Years)
Our School Years Program covers school entry to school exit and uses the Village View Service Delivery model. School Years services will support your child and family with home and community based needs. Children and youth with disabilities often need more support at key points of transitions such as starting Kindergarten, becoming a teenager or graduating high school.
We know it takes a village to help shape your child’s journey, which is why KidsAbility services aim to:
- Help your child to learn functional skills to do things they enjoy
- Support families, with a focus on siblings and parents
- Help your child with important things like making friends, staying healthy and planning for their future through our participation and community supports
Children and youth with disabilities often miss out on real-world opportunities to learn how to become independent, in comparison to typical children. KidsAbility supports are based on the Timetable for Growing Up Ready , with a focus on the six key areas of child development (referred to as the 6 F-words of childhood disability):
Services may include:
- Individual or team assessment and treatment
- Parent education and consultation
- Group therapy
- Focus on promoting independence and increasing participation in home and community activities.
- Education, activity modification, equipment recommendations and/or environmental modification to address:
- Motor Development: fine and gross motor skills, oral motor skills (eating and swallowing)
- Self-help skills: dressing, bathing, personal care
- Leisure/Play skills
- Self Regulation and Sensory Processing difficulties
- Recommendations for home modifications and vehicle modifications for accessibility and effective functioning in all environments
- Support and training in use of adapted equipment (specialized seating, adaptive utensils, home and vehicle modifications)
We’re here to help children thrive in their daily lives and reach their full potential.
- Age 4 – school exit (up to age 21)
- Physical or developmental delay/disability
- Must have a current functional home and/or community-based need. (areas may include: feeding, dressing, personal care, picky eating, sensory processing issues that are affecting daily life)
If your concerns are related to supporting a child with school-based needs they may be eligible for School Based Rehabilitation Services (SBRS), offered through KidsAbility.
SBRS provides Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy services to support access to curriculum and participation for clients who attend publicly funded schools.
Referrals can be made by clients, families and health professionals (with the agreement and consent of the family) for home and community-based needs.
These referrals can be made directly to KidsAbility through the Intake Team (519-886-8886 ex. 1214 or 1-888-372-2259) or by filling in the online referral form.
All new referrals to School Based Rehabilitation Services (SBRS) must be made by the child’s school. Referrals require the parent/guardian’s consent and approval by the school principal or designate.