At the Specialized Feeding Program, we’re here to help children who might be facing challenges with feeding and swallowing. Our team of experts includes:
- Occupational Therapists (OTs),
- Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs), and
By taking a team-based approach, we work together to make sure your child gets the care they need to grow and thrive.
What to expect
We understand that every child is unique, and our goal is to provide tailored support to help them overcome their feeding and swallowing challenges.
Our team will carefully assess your child’s feeding and swallowing challenges to understand their unique needs. If we determine that further assessment and support are required, we’ll be here every step of the way to guide you.
In some cases, a specialized test called videofluoroscopy may be necessary to get a detailed view of your child’s swallowing function. Videofluoroscopy is not available at KidsAbility. To have this test done, you will need to obtain a doctor’s referral and schedule it in the community.
- KidsAbility clients from birth to school exit.
- Must be on service with OT and/or SLP at KidsAbility
- Families able to attend the Cambridge site or appropriate for virtual appointment.
- Clients demonstrating complex feeding needs, including one of:
- Gagging, coughing or choking frequently during meals
- Significant chewing and swallowing difficulties
- Suspected aspiration or respiratory problems
Client is at a nutritional risk
Clients benefitting from dietitian input and further expert assessment by OT and SLP
Referrals to Specialized Feeding Services can be made by KidsAbility OT and/or SLP only. Please speak with your OT or SLP if you have feeding and/or swallowing concerns.